Monday, April 4, 2011

The Buccaneer!

Just thought I would also say something about my other boat on here also.

Two years ago I bought a Buccaneer 18, it needed some work when I bought it but we did a little work and took it out twice. Since then it has really just sat until this year.

With the Santana 20 now being kept at Hefner I wanted a boat to race on Thunderbird. So I started working on the Bucc, I cut the mast step out and reglassed a new piece of plywood under it to provide support.
From there I moved on to rigging and finding some sails that weren't completely blown out. I got all the halyards rigged and new jib blocks, then found a good deal on a spinnaker and later on a GREAT deal on a main and 2 jibs and another spinnaker.

The main and Jibs are actually for a 505 but it turns out that they fit very well on the Bucc. The main is a few square feet larger and the Jib a tiny bit smaller. Not quite perfect but a good deal.

As the Bucc plan developed and I thought about it more I started thinking that maybe Stephanie should drive the Bucc at Lake Thunderbird. So that is the official plan, stephanie will be driving the Bucc and I will be crewing. It should be fun and should help stephanie become a little more developed as a sailor.

The next project on the Bucc was to get it looking better, so Stephanie started wet sanding to get the oxidation off the boat. It was pretty bad! Eventually I started helping, and we moved pretty quickly. One entire side is done so far and it looks really nice!

I will post some pictures of it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment